Thursday, January 15, 2015

Quit Your Yakking - Thesis Proposal

There is a popular social media site for college students. It is called YikYak. The site is essentially Twitter, but all the posts you make are anonymous. The app finds your location, and you can view everything everyone with the app is saying in your area. This could be a fun app, but due to our carnal and sensual nature as human beings, this app is the scum of the earth. People tend to say extremely inappropriate things on the app, even at BYU. BYU's wifi restricts the use certain sites, I think that YikYak should be added to that list. 
To break it down, a rough draft of my thesis statement would be, “YikYak is an awful
social media site, and BYU should ban it from its wifi.” I want to talk about certain websites that are already banned from BYU wifi, nothing too racy, but Victoria’s Secret for instance. Some girls may not have cars and still want to buy high-quality underwear, but Victoria’s Secret does not advertise their product in the most appropriate manner, and so it is banned, and that is perfectly understandable. I also want to talk about what makes YikYak such a dangerous website, and make some reference to the story of The Ring of Gyges, which is about how people tend to act worse when they think that no one can see them. People use the site for dating, there are so many things wrong with that! I may share some of the recent, more PG-rated, posts that show how people misuse the site. Another claim I want to make is how the site is addictive, and how that negatively affects the students at BYU. Also, the wifi is always so slow! Let’s not let it be because everyone is YikYak-ing!

            I want to persuade people to agree with me that YikYak is one of the worst social media sites out there, and that it should be banned from BYU wifi, but I also hope to persuade those who use the site to quit. I want to be careful with my tone, because I don’t mean to offend anyone who uses the site. I know what it is, because I have opened it before and I have friends who use it. I speak from experience, and out of concern.

2 comments:

  1. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't found entertainment via YikYak. However, I believe people say things on the app that I know they wouldn't if it wasn't anonymous. I think you have a valid argument and a clever title :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur with these writings 100%! To think that such a website promoting unidentifiable statements sounds like it was engineered and designed purely for the intent of getting away with slander, deceit, insults, etc. It's temptation for abuse just waiting-to-happen; very sketchy. Go for it, you take that thing down!

    ReplyDelete