Wednesday, January 14, 2015

The Example Opinion Editorials

I thought that Ludlow made some good, persuasive points in, "A Miniskirt, Even With Leggings, Is Still A  Miniskirt". The title was intriguing, but turned out not to be the main topic of discussion. She focused more on the larger problem, which is the general disregard for the honor code.

She made herself a credible source in her introduction by sharing all of her experience she has had at BYU. I also liked the point she made about how many different fashion choices there are to make these days. Without really saying it, but implying it, she is saying that there are a lot of trendy ways to dress that would not go against the honor code.

Near the end she also brings up the First Presidency of the Church, which is a good way to appeal to her audience, since many of them believe that their words are inspired.

By that point in the essay, I really reconsidered my own fashion choices, and thought about just wearing a burka from now on.

No? Maybe too extreme. But nonetheless, I thought it was a persuasive paper.

Holt's "A Kiss-less Campus" did not persuade me as much. I think, because I went in reading the paper with another view already.

In her introduction she admits to not being a credible source. She is only a freshman.

In my statistics class last semester, one of the BYU studies we looked at were how the different years in college viewed kissing on the first date. Almost all of the freshman opposed it, less sophomores opposed it than freshman, less juniors than sophomores, and almost all of the seniors surveyed agreed that it was acceptable.

Amelia Holt may believe the amount of PDA at BYU is not okay, but as time goes on, I'm sure she will find a love of her own, and maybe even one-day be herself, those lip-smacking noises in the library.

Also, her evidence/facts were not strong enough for me. I would have liked a real study on "Why PDA is Destroying College Campuses" or something of the sort.

As for the wrestling editorial, I enjoyed that as well. Wrestling isn't something I know much about, but it opened my eyes up to how dangerous it is. If they want change, it makes sense to bring up the NCAA, who is in charge and makes the rules.


No comments:

Post a Comment